PRESERVATION AND EXTERIOR RESTORATION
JAFFE ART THEATER
189 SECOND AVENUE, NEW YORK, NY
The Jaffe Art Theater is a 1925 neo-Moorish theater commissioned by Louis Jaffe and designed by Harrison Wiseman originally built as a Yiddish-language theater and converted into a cinema in 1991. Both its interior and exterior are individually designated New York City Landmarks, and the theater is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The exterior preservation of the Jaffe Art Theater consisted of the replacement of damaged and deteriorated cast stone, parapet rebuilding, and the cleaning and coating of ground level cast stone. The full roof and skylight was replaced, including standing seam roofing at the ornamental bulkheads and impresario’s apartment.
Owner: Reading International