UPDATES - MARCH 2018
The following is a brief overview of recent New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) rule changes that will or may affect upcoming or ongoing construction work.
Effective December 28, 2017
Local Law 154/2017 - TENANT PROTECTION PLANS (TPP)
A “Tenant Protection Plan” TPP is required to be filed with the DOB for any job performed on an occupied, or partially occupied, building that requires a DOB Permit. CTA Architects P.C. will provide a TPP for any job filed by our office. Jobs requiring “Site Safety” will be prepared in conjunction with the 3rd Party Site Safety Vendor.
Ownership is required to notify the DOB a minimum of 72-hours before initiation of work. Owners are required to distribute and post copies of the TPP to Residents as follows:
- Upon request
- To each dwelling unit, or, post same in the lobby and on each floor within ten-feet of the elevator and/or stair if no elevator
The TPP must include:
- Statement that occupant may obtain a hard copy of TPP from Ownership and may access on the DOB website
- Name and contact information of Site Safety Manager, Site Safety Coordinator, Superintendent of Construction, or Owner/Management Contact person
- Statement that complaints regarding the work may be made to 311
Local Law 159/2017 - SAFE CONSTRUCTION BILL OF RIGHTS (BOR)
Owners of multiple dwellings are now required to provide a “Safe Construction Bill of Rights” (BOR) to building occupants for any job that requires a DOB Permit. This is in addition to the TPP.
Ownership is required to distribute the BOR to each occupied unit, or post it in the lobby and on each floor within ten-feet of the elevator and/or stair if there is no elevator. BOR must be published in English and Spanish and any other language spoken in the building. It must remain “posted” until completion of the permitted work, i.e. DOB sign-off has been obtained.
The BOR must include:
- Description of work and location(s) taking place
- Construction hours
- Projected end date
- Descriptions of amenities or services that may be interrupted during work and steps to be taken to minimize any inconvenience
- Contact information and telephone number of Owner/Owners Agent for non-emergency matters
- Contact information and telephone number of Owner/Owners Agent for emergency matters – 24/7 during construction period