INTERIOR & EXTERIOR PRESERVATION
THE CHURCH OF SAINT MARK
1417 UNION STREET, BROOKLYN, NY
1915 brick and stone church with one early stained glass window set in terra cotta tracery. Later donor windows line the aisles. The maker of the main window is unknown but was likely an English firm. The congregation was relocated to the current Crown Heights location after being displaced by the construction of the Manhattan bridge.
Severely failing terra cotta tracery at the main window was removed. The existing safety glass was removed from the exterior. New cast stone tracery was fabricated from molds replicating the appearance of the terra cotta and installed in the restored arched opening complete with new stainless steel reinforcement. All of the original leaded glass was carefully removed, documented, cleaned and re-leaded using new lead cames and weatherproof putty. The re-leaded glass was installed in the new tracery along with new exterior safety glazing.
Owner: The Church of Saint Mark