RESIDENTIAL DESIGN INSTITUTIONAL DESIGN & ADAPTIVE REUSE
101 AVENUE D, NEW YORK, NY
After nearly 15 years without a dedicated home, New York City’s first and only Girls Club is now located in 101 Avenue D. The new ground-up, 12-story-tall mixed-use building is located between East 7th and 8th Street and is home to the Lower Eastside Girls Club, Arabella 101, and two retail spaces.
The Lower East Side Girls Club is a new, state of the art “green” building serving hundreds of economically disadvantaged girls and their families and also represents the first space built exclusively for young women in the City’s history. The 90,000 square-foot mixed-use building was designed to LEED Gold standards and features classrooms, a library, administrative offices, a 1958 Overlander Airstream Trailer podcast studio, and a custom-designed 30-foot planetarium.
Owner: The Lower Eastside Girls Club
Developer: The Dermot Company, Inc.