DESIGN & ADAPTIVE REUSE
CITY TRUST BUILDING COMPLEX, BRIDGEPORT, CT
The City Trust Complex consists of four separate buildings erected between 1917 and 1930 and located within the Bridgeport Downtown South Historic District. The Morris Plan Bank, Trust Department, and Liberty Building were all designed in the colonial style. The fourth building, the eleven-story Citytrust, is a striking example of Art Deco style with its facade of carved granite and glazed terra cotta ornamentation.
As part of a large-scale, downtown rehabilitation project that also included the Bridgeport Arcade, we completely rehabilitated these four, vacant commercial buildings. Our adaptive reuse of the 175,000 square feet of building space created 118 new rental apartments and 47,000 square feet of new commercial space.
Since the Downtown Bridgeport South Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, all of our work had to meet the requirements of the National Park Service for the restoration of historic buildings. We successfully advocated for a variety of design additions to the buildings including new modern storefronts at the three street facades, a new glass-covered rear courtyard open to the public, and new skylights to integrate two existing roofs into the business spaces.
Our rehabilitation also included exterior masonry, ornamental terra cotta, and stone restoration and repairs at the buildings. The original terrazzo floors and hallways were rehabilitated, and the existing plaster ceilings and walls were restored.
Owner: 961 Main Street LLC, Bridgeport, CT