INTERIOR & EXTERIOR PRESERVATION
The Chapel of the Sisters is an 1857 Romanesque funerary chapel constructed of brownstone and fieldstone within the 1668 Prospect Cemetery. The chapel and surrounding cemetery are individually designated New York City Landmarks.
Using fragments of surviving glass and replica glass, new stained glass windows were fabricated for the interior and exterior of the chapel. The doors and windows were replaced with matching replicas, and deteriorated stone conditions were addressed.
Existing wood, plaster, and gilded surfaces on the interior were cleaned and restored, and heat and plumbing concealed beneath a new floor were introduced to the building. Plaster wall surfaces with gilded scriptural decorations were in a salvageable condition thus new interior infill finish were installed only as required. The existing wood, plaster, and gilded surfaces were carefully cleaned and restored.
Owner: NYC Department of Parks and Recreation
Agent: Greater Jamaica Development Corporation