210 RIVERSIDE DRIVE, NEW YORK, NY
210 Riverside Drive is a 1909 steel framed limestone, brick and terra cotta apartment building. The building had originally possessed a large projecting sheet metal cornice, which was removed in the latter half of the Twentieth Century. The ornate terra cotta spandrels at roof level survived along with vivid terra cotta and limestone garlands and other details at the facade below. The building was designed by the firm of Schwartz & Gross Architects and is representative of the grand turn-of-the-century apartment houses of Riverside Drive. 210 Riverside Drive is located within the Riverside West End Landmark District.
The full rebuilding of the perimeter parapets including salvaging cleaning and resetting approximately 70% of the existing terra cotta. New terra cotta units were fabricated for areas previously covered with stucco. The remainder of the units were replicated in slip-glazed terra cotta, both extruded and hand pressed. The work also included facade cleaning and full roof replacement along with a significant quantity of secondary elevation masonry rebuilding and structural steel reinforcement.
Owner: 210 Riverside Drive Tenants, Inc.