HISTORIC ROOF REPLACEMENT
GRACE CHURCH BROOKLYN HEIGHTS
254 HICKS STREET, BROOKLYN, NY
Grace Church Brooklyn Heights was constructed from 1847 to 1849 to the designs of Richard Upjohn, and expanded in 1935 with the Parish house addition to accommodate school and meeting room uses. The Parish house was modified in 2010 with the addition of a metal clad roof addition adjacent to the brick bulkhead.
The project consisted of the removal of the main church nave un-insulated deteriorated asphalt shingle roof and replacement with a historically appropriate fully insulated copper batten seam roof. The asphalt shingle roof of the false mansard at the adjacent parish house was replaced with a batten seam copper roof, deteriorated wood decking was removed and replaced where encountered, roof hatches were replaced with lockable hatches clad in copper, and the main roof gutters were relined with a resin based roofing system tied into the new main roof.
Work also involved dismantling and rebuilding the openwork masonry parapets at either gable end to incorporate through wall flashing systems. Localized repairs were made to stone tracery at the church stained glass windows.
Owner: Grace Church Brooklyn Heights
- Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award, 2015
- Victorian Society in America Metropolitan Chapter Preservation Award, 2015