STAINED GLASS WINDOW AND DOME RESTORATION
1625 OCEAN AVENUE, BROOKLYN, NY
The East Midwood Jewish Center is a synagogue and community center built in 1925 to the designs of Irving Warshaw and Louis Allen Abramson Architects, and is listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places.
The existing stained glass dome was fully disassembled and the sections cleaned, restored and re-leaded complete with new stiffening bars and reinstalled in the main sanctuary. The monumental hip roofed skylight was replicated and replaced in kind with a new formed metal skylight. One monumental window, damaged beyond repair by a hurricane, was replicated with a new wood window. The original stained glass was salvaged, restored and re-leaded and installed into the replica frames and sash one stained glass window was restored and reinforced also receiving its original cleaned and re-leaded glass.
This project was funded in part by a grant from the New York State Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Owner: East Midwood Jewish Center