As we walk, climb and crawl through the built history, the city reveals layers of past life and occupants. Churches turn to condos, parking garages into schools, and an old police precinct building is looking for a new life as a not-for-profit housing organization.
The former 28th Precinct (named later the 29th, 39th, 13th, and the 23rd Precincts) was built in 1892-93 and designed by Nathaniel D. Bush, Architect to the New York City Police department, is now an individually designated landmark.
The buildings served the NYPD until 1974 and was then used as “Hope Community Hall” by Hope Community Inc. The building was used until 1993 and is now standing empty awaiting renovation. The sun drenched south facing rooms above the first floor level, originally used as dormitories for the precinct’s patrolmen, are now painted in bright colors and are decorated with flowers and a peace sign that casts a faded shadow on the dusty floors.
View from inside the 28th Precinct brought to you by Asaf Yogev.